2011 Australia's Convict Past/Colonial Heritage - 7.44 grams 99.9% Gold Proof Coin Set - #1,254 of 3,000

  • $700.00
    Unit price per 
Tax included.

Only 1 left!
 10 weekly payments of $70.00 learn more

or make 4 interest-free payments of $175.00 AUD fortnightly with More info


This set by the Royal Australian Mint commemorates the inclusion of significant Australian convict sites onto the UNESCO World Heritage List.

  • Reverse Designer: Vladimir Gottwald
  • Obverse Designer: Ian Rank-Broadley
  • Size: 14mm
  • Weight: 1.24g
  • Edge: Reeded
  • Composition: 99.9% Gold

These sites have been recognised as having an important role in the cultural history of Australia:

Hyde Park Barracks was Australia's first government-built barracks and the only one remaining from the Macquarie era.

Port Arthur is the most well-known property whereby it began as a penal settlement with numerous industrial activities such as shipbuilding and flour milling.

The Coal Mines Historic Site was originally a convict station. Based in Tasmania, Australia, it served as somewhere for the worst offenders to be placed from Port Arthur.

Fremantle Prison was built between 1852-1859 by British Royal Engineers using convict labour (Fremantle City Library, 2013) . The first prisoners occupied the main cell block in 1855 and in 1867 was named Fremantle Prison as it had been known as 'The Establishment' prior to that.

The Cascades Female Factory Historic Site is also a World Heritage Site. Its origins were a little unusual as it was converted from a brewery into a female factory. The government purchased the land for $2,000 back in 1827 (Cascades Female Factory Historic Site, 2013) . Colonial Engineer John Lee Archer took charge of the conversion in August 1827 and drew plans for the transition. After a year of building works, the Factory was ready and the first women arrived in December 1828.

The Old Government House and Domain is situated at Parramatta Park, New South Wales. It was built on Darug land, home to the Burramatta tribe, and this can be seen in many ways, including shells from Aboriginal middens used to strengthen the mortar. It was the country residence of twelve governors extending from 1788 to 1856 and extends for 200 acres.


Customer Reviews

No reviews yet
0%
(0)
0%
(0)
0%
(0)
0%
(0)
0%
(0)